August 10, 2017 04:22 PM
The FBI has published several previously unreleased documents pertaining to Minnesota music legend Prince, including one documenting an extortion complaint in 1997 and another detailing threatening phone messages in 2005.
The documents show Prince, who died in 2016 of an accidental overdose, was listed as the victim on a March of 1997 extortion complaint form in which it was alleged that someone had threatened to sell personal documents related to the singer to the media.
The complaint goes on to discuss authorities investigating the death of Prince's child in October 1996, though stating they "declined federal prosecution because the case does not meet federal prosecution standards."
His then-wife Mayte Garcia has recently discussed the rare genetic defect that led to the child's death.
Another complaint form from April of 2005 lists the complainant as a representative to Prince, who told authorities his office had received three threatening messages from a female.
The caller was said to have made threatening statements toward Prince, saying she would make his life miserable and "threatening bodily harm."
She also "threatens to commit suicide."
Updated: August 10, 2017 04:22 PM
Created: August 10, 2017 03:59 PM
Copyright 2017 - KSTP-TV, LLC A Hubbard Broadcasting Company