May 23, 2018 11:09 AM
A firefighter and a police officer were both hospitalized Tuesday night after a strong odor from a St. Paul apartment left them feeling dizzy and light-headed.
According to Assistant Fire Chief Mike Gaede, St. Paul firefighters were sent to an apartment building on the 200 block of Dayton Avenue at 8 p.m. on reports of a strong odor.
Residents were evacuated from the building, and after a search, officials determined there was no toxic material or dangerous explosives.
One tenant refused to let firefighters search his apartment. Police were called and held the man during the search.
The firefighter and officer were treated at Regions Hospital and released.
Tenants returned to the building Wednesday morning. Most were able to spend the night with friends or family, but the American Red Cross housed six overnight.
Officials never determined the cause of the odor.
Updated: May 23, 2018 11:09 AM
Created: May 23, 2018 10:41 AM
Copyright 2018 - KSTP-TV, LLC A Hubbard Broadcasting Company