Schaffhausen Home, Land Profits to be Donated in Wis.
Schaffhausen house in River Falls.
Photo: KSTP File Photo
A house - where three Wisconsin girls were murdered by their father - will be deconstructed with the useable materials donated to a nonprofit and the land eventually sold.
Affinity Plus Federal Credit Union, which owns the River Falls house, recently announced plans to take apart the home after an auction last month turned up no bids on the foreclosed property, said Dave Larson, of Affinity.
The home has remained empty since the children Amara, Sophie and Cecilia Schaffhausen were found dead last year. Their father, Aaron Schaffhausen, tried to sell the house after their murders, but their mother objected, saying he would have profited from the sale.
On Tuesday, Larson said the company has been working with the children's mother, Jessica Schaffhausen, and her family during the past several weeks with their ultimate goal "to do the right thing." The company wants to honor the family's wishes, Larson said.
The house's usable materials will be donated to Habitat for Humanity, which helps families find affordable homes, with the parts likely going to the group's St. Croix chapter. Then the remainder of the home will be razed and the land will be sold.
Proceeds of the sale will be donated to a memorial playground being planned in the area to honor the girls. It's unclear if there's an interested buyer for the land.
The deconstruction of the home is set to start Monday, Sept. 16, and is expected to last about a week, Larson said.
Several local companies and contractors have offered to donate their time and work to complete the process. Those companies were not named by Affinity.
- Schaffhausen Home in River Falls is Demolished
- Dismantling of Schaffhausen House Begins in River Falls, Wis.
- Schaffhausen Home, Land Profits to be Donated in Wis.
- Schaffhausen's Friend Sentenced to Probation
- No Bids on House Where Schaffhausen Girls Were Killed
- Slain Schaffhausen Girls’ Artwork Auctioned Friday
- 'Tri Angels Playground' Will Honor Schaffhausen Girls
- New Mug Shot of Wis. Dad Who Admittedly Killed Daughters
- Racers in Run to Honor Schaffhausen Girls Donate $48K
- Fundraisers Planned for Memorials for Schaffhausen Girls