Search KSTP.com   
Keyword   
KSTP on Twitter KSTP on Facebook KSTP RSS Make KSTP Your Homepage

Updated: 06/05/2013 7:54 AM
Created: 06/04/2013 7:32 AM KSTP.com | Print |  Email
By: Maricella Miranda

Toddler Splashed with Burning Lighter Fluid Remains Critical

A 3-year-old boy suffered critical burns to more than half his body while his siblings played with matches and lighter fluid in Wabasha County.
    
The children were spraying charcoal lighter fluid into a tin lunch box and igniting it near the front porch of their home Monday afternoon, according to the Wabasha County Sheriff's Office. One of the children stomped on the box, in an effort to put out the flames, and accidentally splashed the burning fluid onto the 3-year-old.

The other children were ages 3 to 9. The incident happened at a home on Railroad Street.

The children's mother suffered burns to her hands when she tried to put out the flames on the 3-year-old, according to police. The boy was taken by helicopter to Saint Mary's Hospital in Rochester. The mother was transported by ambulance.

"My heart breaks for them because this little boy is going to suffer just terribly. Burns are awful," said Doris Meyers, who lives nearby.

Chief Deputy Joe Modjeski, of the Wabasha County Sheriff's Office, said the mother and grandmother were home at the time of the incident. Modjeski didn't believe the child's parents would face criminal charges.

"My heart just sunk. I have three children of my own, and my heart goes out to them," said Jess Meyers, who also lives nearby.

On Tuesday, the terrible accident was the talk of the tiny town of Millville.

"Hopefully, this helps a lot of other families be more aware of what kids are getting into," Jess Meyers said.

Wabasha deputies, Zumbro Falls paramedics, and other first responders assisted on the scene.

The toddler remains in critical condition.


Most Read Stories

Video


Trending

Daily Poll