Edina-Based Dairy Queen Says Mother, Son Accidentally Sickened by Milkshake

Updated: 08/25/2014 2:05 PM
Created: 08/25/2014 1:16 PM
By: Megan Stewart

A Dairy Queen milkshake sickened a 7-year-old child and his mother in Colorado and the Edina-based company calls it an accident.

A 7-year-old child ordered a vanilla milkshake at a DQ on Friday, ABC affiliate 7NEWS in Denver reports. After he took a sip, he said his tongue started to burn.

The child's mom said the milkshake tasted like a strong cleaner.

7NEWS reports it was determined an employee left a container soaking in a chemical floor cleaner and degreaser. Another employee thought it was clean and filled it with vanilla syrup.

The chemicals used in the degreaser have been known to contain sodium hydroxide, which can cause burns and vomiting.

Dairy Queen issued the following statement on Monday:

Food safety and food quality as well as the safety and well-being of our customers and staff, as always, are our top priorities.

We follow the guidelines set by the FDA for food safety, and strive to ensure operators meet or exceed current industry practices. Our restaurants are required to follow strict food preparation and sanitation procedures as required by their Health Department and consistently pass inspections conducted by those officials.

This was an accidental and isolated incident at a location in Thornton. Of course, our concern is for the customers involved and thankfully they are doing well. Our operator acted quickly to immediately remove the vanilla syrup product in question and follow up with the customers. He has met with his staff to review the detailed protocols and procedures we have available to our operators and has taken the appropriate steps to ensure that this never happens again.

Photo: Wikimedia Commons

Minneapolis/St. Paul

79° | 60°
  • Feels like: 76° F
  • Wind: WNW 15mph
  • Humidity: 40%