Updated: 05/14/2014 12:00 PM
Created: 05/14/2014 5:42 AM KSTP.com
A list of some recent fatal mine disasters around the world:
- 2013: 83 workers are buried by a massive landslide at a gold mining site in a mountainous area of Tibet, east of Lhasa, according to Chinese state media.
- 2012: At least 60 people dead after a landslide at a gold mine in a remote corner of northeast Congo.
- 2011: Fifty-two people are feared dead in southwestern Pakistan after a gas explosion deep in a coal mine in Sorange, near Quetta.
- 2010: 29 men are killed in New Zealand's worst mining disaster in decades after a huge gas-fueled explosion deep underground ends hopes of rescuing the South Island coal miners, who were caught in a similar blast five days earlier.
- 2010: 33 miners are rescued after being trapped for 69 days in a gold and copper mine in Chile's northern Atacama desert.
- 2010: 29 miners are killed in an explosion at West Virginia's Upper Big Branch coal mine.
- 2007: At least 90 are killed in post-Soviet Ukraine's worst mining disaster, after a methane blast rips through tunnels deep below ground in a coal mine near the eastern city of Donetsk.
- 2007: Six miners, three rescuers are killed in collapses at the Crandall Canyon coal mine in Emery County, Utah.
- 2006: 65 coal miners are killed from a gas explosion in San Juan de Sabinas, in northern Mexico's Coahuila state.
- 2006: 12 killed in a methane explosion at the Sago coal mine in West Virginia.
- 2005: 214 miners die after an explosion deep in a coal shaft in southwestern China.
(Copyright 2014 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)