Updated: 03/05/2014 7:15 PM
Created: 03/05/2014 6:18 PM KSTP.com
By: Todd Wilson
Megan Ramey has a unique story to tell about being diagnosed with cancer.
"Shock at first. I was only 20 when I was diagnosed with skin cancer," she said.
Ramey says, she started using tanning beds when she was in high school. Once diagnosed, Ramey has been through several surgeries, amino therapy and weekly injections. She believes tanning beds had a hand in her situation.
"I knew you could get skin cancer from a tanning bed but did I think it would happen to me at age 20? Definitely not," she said.
To help prevent more cases like Ramey's, Rep. JoAnn Ward proposed a bill to limit tanning equipment to people who are 18 or older.
"The incident of melanoma, the deadliest form of skin cancer, has more than doubled since 1995 among young women," Ward said.
Ward wants all tanning facilities to display a sign in a conspicuous place, at the point of sale, that states it is unlawful for a tanning facility or operator to allow a person under age 18 to use any tanning equipment.
Plus they must post warning signs about the dangers of using a tanning bed within three feet of each tanning station.
Julie Doneux Dit Brialmont, the owner of Express Tan in White Bear Lake says, the bill goes too far. "I think parents have the absolute rights to make that decision for their child," she said.
Ramey says, the benefits of a tanning bed don't outweigh the costs. "A tan is not worth dying for," she said.