LIST: Top Mexican Drug Cartel Captures or Killings
Miguel Angel Trevino Morales
Photo: MGN Online/WLS
Top Mexican drug cartel captures or killings:
- July 15, 2013: Authorities in northern Mexico capture Miguel Angel Trevino Morales, alias "Z-40," leader of the brutal Zetas cartel.
- Oct. 7, 2012: Mexican marines kill Heriberto Lazcano Lazcano, alias "El Lazca," a founder and top leader of the Zetas. His body is later stolen from a funeral home. Trevino Morales takes over the Zetas.
- Oct. 6, 2012: Marines arrest alleged Zetas regional leader Salvador Alfonso Martinez Escobedo, suspected of involvement in massacres and the killing of U.S. citizen David Hartley in 2010 on Falcon Lake, which straddles the U.S.-Mexico border.
- Sept. 12, 2012: Marines capture purported top Gulf cartel leader Jorge Eduardo Costilla Sanchez, alias "El Coss." U.S. authorities had offered a $5 million reward for his arrest.
- Dec. 9, 2010: Mexican federal police kill Nazario Moreno Gonzalez, leader of the La Familia Michoacana cartel, during a gunfight in the village of El Alcalde. His body was never recovered, and rumors have persisted that Moreno, known as "the Craziest One," is still alive.
- July 29, 2010: Mexican army raids a house in the town of Zapopan and kills Ignacio "Nacho" Coronel, one of the top leaders of the Sinaloa Cartel.
- Dec. 16, 2009: Mexican marines kill Arturo Beltran Leyva, leader of the Beltran Leyva cartel, in a shootout in Cuernavaca.
(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)