2013 Memorial Day Observances
Memorial Day is a day of remembering the men and women who died while serving in the United States Armed Forces. There are a number of ceremonies being held across the state.
Sunday, May 26th
Minnesota State Veterans Cemetery
15550 Hwy 115
Little Falls, MN 56345
- The State Veterans Cemetery in Little Falls is hosting its annual Memorial Service the day before Memorial Day. The event is open to the public and will begin at 1:30 p.m. Sunday, May 26, with instrumental music provided by the Richfield Symphonic Band, the traditional Parade of Flags and a placing of the wreaths and the first public showing of the US Navy painting commissioned for the Veterans Educational Historic Project. The keynote speaker will be Lt Col Mark M. Weber, who recently released a book titled “Tell My Son’s.”
Monday, May 27th
345 W. Kellogg Blvd.,
St. Paul, MN 55102-1906
- Historic Fort Snelling opens for the summer on Memorial Day weekend with special events all weekend. On Memorial Day, Travel through the past with a special living timeline of military life through history during this special day honoring America’s soldiers. Costumed staff and re-enactors will interpret different eras of military history through uniform and equipment displays as well as weapons demonstrations. See large-scale military demonstrations throughout the day, play children’s games, and explore Minnesota’s oldest military post. Events run 10 a.m. to 5 p.m.
3600 Hennepin Ave. S.
Minneapolis, MN 55408
- Lakewood Cemetery's Memorial Day Ceremony starts at 10:30 a.m. This year’s service pays special honor to the 150th anniversary of the Civil War.
- FERGUS FALLS, Minn. – The Memorial Day program starts at 2 p.m. The guest speaker will be Ron Verhaagen, Wilkin County Veterans Service Officer. The program will include music by “The Lee’s,” and Color guard services and the rifle volley will be provided by the Fergus Falls American Legion Post 30 & the Fergus Falls VFW Post 612. 1821 North Park Street, Fergus Falls, MN 56537
- HASTINGS, Minn. – The Memorial Day Observance will start at 9 a.m. at the flag pole outside of the Hastings Veterans Home. There will be multiple stops through the town and honors will be performed by VFW Post 1210 and American Legion Post 47 of Hastings. There will also be special recognition of Gold Star Mothers and prayers. 1200 East 18th Street, Hastings, MN 55033
- MINNEAPOLIS – The Memorial Day program, sponsored by the 5th District American Legion, will begin at 2 p.m. outside of Building 15 Chapel. In case of inclement weather the program will be held in the auditorium. The guest speaker will be Rev. Kenneth L. Beale, Jr. with remarks by MDVA Commissioner Larry Shellito. Colors will be posted by the Memorial Rifle Squad, Fort Snelling National Cemetery with music provided by the Minnesota Police Pipe Band. 5101 Minnehaha Avenue South Minneapolis, MN 55417
- SILVER BAY, Minn. – The program will begin at 10:30 a.m. at the Silver Bay Veterans Home. The guest speaker will be Dave Mealey, Past Commander of the local VFW in Silver Bay. 45 Banks Boulevard Silver Bay, MN 55614
Pioneers and Soldiers Cemetery
2945 Cedar Avenue
South Minneapolis, MN 55407.
- The cemetery will hold its 145th Memorial Day Observance on Memorial Day. There will be speakers, an honor guard firing team, student leaders from the Transition Charter School and the wonderful Seward Community Concert Band. The traditional observance begins at 10 a.m.
Richfield - Honoring All Veterans Memorial Dedication Ceremony
The Honoring All Veterans Memorial in Richfield is complete and will be unveiled Monday, May 27, at 2 p.m. The guest speaker is Adjutant General Richard C. Nash of the MN National Guard. Everyone is welcome; please bring your own chair. Veterans Memorial Park (West side of park at Memorial Site), 64th & Portland Ave. in Richfield.
St. Louis Park Memorial Day Service
Veterans Memorial Amphitheater in Wolfe Park
3700 Monterey Drive
St. Louis Park, MN 55416
- Join the Veterans of Foreign Wars and the American Legion in honoring those who have served our country. The service begins at 11 a.m., and the flag will be raised at noon.
Quad City Memorial Day Ceremony
Golden Valley City Hall
7800 Golden Valley Road
Golden Valley, MN 55427
- In honor of Memorial Day, the Quad City Beyond The Yellow Ribbon is hosting a ceremony at 10 a.m., in the parking lot at Golden Valley City Hall,. Quad City Beyond the Yellow Ribbon is made up of the Cities of Golden Valley, Crystal, New Hope, and Robbinsdale. Mayors and dignitaries from the four cities will direct a program that includes participation by local veterans and scout troops, speakers, and music by the Robbinsdale City Band and Armstrong High School choir. Roll call, rifle squad, and taps will be provided by Golden Valley VFW Post 7051, Chester Bird American Legion Post 523, Crystal American Legion Aviation Post 511, Robbinsdale Westphal American Legion Post 251, and Crystal VFW Post 494. The keynote speaker, Command Sergeant Major Cynthia Kallberg, is the first female enlisted advisor of the Minnesota National Guard. She will introduce the Beyond The Yellow Ribbon project. In case of inclement weather, the event will be moved to Golden Valley VFW Post 7051 at 7775 Medicine Lake Rd.
Thursday, May 30th
- LUVERNE, Minn. –The Memorial Day program will be held on Thursday, May 30 beginning at 2:30 p.m. in the dining room. The guest speaker will be American Legion Department Vice Commander for the 2 & 7 Districts, Jane Ellefson. The honor guard will consist of members from Luverne’s American Legion Post 123 and Luverne’s VFW Post 2757. Musical selections will be provided by Jay Tripp. 1300 North Kniss Avenue, Luverne, MN 56156
SHAKOPEE, Minn. - The park will give free regular admission tickets to active or veteran members of the armed services during Military Appreciation Days this weekend, from Friday through Monday.
Anytime during the 2013 season through Oct. 27, 2013, members of the military will be able to purchase discounted admission tickets for a maximum of six members of their immediate family at a discounted price of $29.50. A valid military ID must be presented to receive the special offer.
If you have a service you would like added to the list, emails us at firstname.lastname@example.org.