INFO: Questions to Ask When Purchasing a Cemetery Plot
Your cemetery or funeral provider can help you make decisions based on their knowledge of cemetery property and experience with other families. When purchasing cemetery property, consider the following questions to help guide your decisions:
- Do you want traditional in-ground burial, above-ground crypt entombment or cremation options?
- If choosing cremation, do you want a place to be remembered where loved ones can visit?
- Do you prefer for loved ones to visit a space that is indoors or outdoors?
- Are you arranging for yourself or your family? How many burials do you expect to take place? Do you want to be near other family members?
- What type of memorial do you prefer? Would you like a marker, set flat on the ground? Are you interested in an upright monument or sculpture?
- If choosing cremation, where will the cremation take place?
- What is your budget?
- How will you pay? Would you like to pay in installments?
- Who should contact the cemetery at the time of death?
*Information from Minnesota Association of Cemeteries.