Man ID'd in Fatal Kitchen Fire in St. Paul
The man killed in a fire started by unattended cooking in St.Paul has been identified.
St. Paul fire officials say Lorenzo Hawkins was killed in the fire that happened at about 1 a.m. Sunday on the 1900 block of Upper Afton Road.
Neighbors called 911 after smelling smoke in the duplex.
Fire officials said flames spread from the stove throughout the kitchen.
Hawkins was found unresponsive in a backroom.
His official cause of death is still to be determined.
Unattended cooking fires are the leading cause of building fires in Minnesota, according to fire officials. This is the first fire death in St. Paul this year.