St. Louis Park Students Mourn Freshman's Death
A St. Louis Park Senior High School student who died of flu complications is described as "a friend to all."
The school's director of students, Kari Schwietering says friends of 14-year-old Carly Christenson are having a hard time dealing with her death, but they're trying to rally around each other and offer support.
The school held a large counseling session in the gym Wednesday, which some parents also attended.
Christenson is the fifth person in Minnesota to die of flu complications this flu season.
The family's church, Westwood Lutheran, posted a message on its Facebook site which said Carly passed away Tuesday surrounded by her parents, brother, grandparents and a few close friends. The teen was admitted to Children's Hospital in Minneapolis on Christmas Eve.
(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Minn. Flu Deaths this Season Rise to 127
- Flu-Related Hospitalizations in Minn. Decrease
- Minn. Forum Set Up to Help Ease Vaccine Shortages
- LIST: What You Need to Know About this Year's Flu
- Minn. Records Show 15 More Flu-Related Deaths
- Students Return to Dorm Life and Flu Risks
- FDA Approves New Flu Vaccine
- 60 New Flu Minn. Deaths, FDA Approves New Vaccine
- Large Study Confirms Flu Vaccine Safe in Pregnancy
- Some Minn. Clinics Out of Flu Vaccine