Community Shocked over Faribault School Scandal
The historic archway at Shattuck-St. Mary's Prep School leads to a campus that's been there almost as long as the city of Faribault itself. And, the connection between the school and the city is tight. That's why the recent revelations of alleged child sexual abuse by former teacher Lynn Seibel has rocked this small river town.
Mayor John Jasinski tells 5 EYEWITNESS NEWS that the entire town is "saddened and shocked" by the sex abuse charges. Jasinski says Shattuck means a lot to the community and when something like this happens if affects people at the school and in the town as well. At Lloyd's Barber Shop, owner Marvin Lloyd, tells 5 EYEWITNESS NEWS that he's "saddened and almost speechless" about the investigation into child sex abuse. Lloyd says Shattuck is a community leader and it is very disheartening to hear what has taken place.
Depsite this recent crisis, many of those we talked to in the business community told us they will continue to support Shattuck. Business owners say they have great respect for the school's contributions to the community and they believe in the students who attend the prep school and they believe the school will survive this turmoil and rebound in the weeks to come.
- Shattuck-St. Mary's Releases Statement About Previous Incident
- Community Shocked over Faribault School Scandal
- Authorities Investigate Cases of Alleged Abuse at Shattuck-St. Mary's
- Former Minn. Teacher Charged with Sex Crimes Involving Students
- Shattuck-St. Mary's School Releases Statement After Former Teacher Charged