AG Cuts Mideast Trip Short to Manage Libya Probe
Attorney General Eric Holder is cutting short an overseas trip and will return to Washington immediately to manage a criminal investigation into the deaths of the four people who died in an attack on the U.S. Consulate in Benghazi, Libya.
The attorney general's change in plans followed remarks he made Thursday in Doha, Qatar, that the FBI has opened a full investigation into the deaths and the attack on the consulate. The attorney general is in the Middle East this week for meetings with his foreign counterparts. He originally had been scheduled to go from Qatar to Saudi Arabia and Turkey before returning to the U.S. on Tuesday.
In Doha, the attorney general said the U.S. is committed to working with the Libyan government to seek justice for the deaths of Ambassador Chris Stevens and three other Americans at the consulate.
On Wednesday, a law enforcement official said the FBI was sending evidence teams to Libya.
(Copyright 2012 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Officials Say Benghazi Suspects Under Surveillance
- Issa Plans Depositions for Mullen, Pickering
- Biden, Kerry Honor Fallen Diplomats
- Senate Passes Bill to Improve Embassy Security
- Police: Suicide Bombing at US Embassy, 2 Dead
- Lawyer: Tunisian Suspect in Libya Attack Freed
- Lawmakers Press for Answers on 9/11 Libya Assault
- Benghazi Review Slams State Department on Security
- Petraeus Believed Terrorists Behind Libya Attack
- Pentagon Timeline Shows Military Response to Libya