Statement from Former Minnesota Gov. Tim Pawlenty
Former Minnesota Gov. Tim Pawlenty was passed over to be Mitt Romney's running mate, but he says he's excited to see the Romney-Paul Ryan pairing.
In a statement, Pawlenty calls Ryan a "respected leader and a bold thinker" about changes needed for the country.
He also says Ryan's roots in Wisconsin will help Romney win that key swing state. He says he'll do all he can to help Romney win the election.
It's the second time in four years Pawlenty's been an also-ran in the selection for a GOP No. 2. John McCain considered Pawlenty before settling on Sarah Palin in 2008.
Here’s the entire statement:
"Congressman Ryan is a respected leader and a bold thinker regarding the changes needed to restore America. His selection will also help Governor Romney win the key swing state of Wisconsin. I am excited about a Romney-Ryan ticket and look forward to doing all I can to help them win this election."
The Associated Press contributed to this report.
- Romney Airs Ads in Wisconsin, Hopes to Expand Map
- Convention Vote Could Alter Minnesota GOP Caucuses
- Boehner Gives High Marks to Romney VP Pick Ryan
- Romney's Choice of Ryan Sets Contours for Campaign
- VIDEO: Source: Romney Picks Ryan for Running Mate
- Statement from Former Minnesota Gov. Tim Pawlenty
- RAW VIDEO: Romney, Ryan Appear Together as Running Mates
- Friends, Foes Like Paul Ryan but Disagree on Politics
- Pawlenty Says He's Excited by Romney-Ryan Ticket
- It's Paul Ryan: Romney Picks Wis. Rep for No. 2