Sen. Lena Taylor Appointed Co-Chair of Wis. Budget Committee
Milwaukee Sen. Lena Taylor will serve as co-chair of the Legislature's powerful budget committee now that Democrats have majority control in the Senate.
Her appointment was announced Tuesday minutes before the Senate was to meet for the first time with Democrats in the majority following the recall victory of Sen. John Lehman of Racine.
That win, confirmed through a recount, gives Democrats a 17-16 edge.
It also means that Democrats control Senate committees for at least the remainder of the year.
New Senate Majority Leader Mark Miller announced that Taylor gets the coveted Joint Finance Committee co-chair slot.
Lehman, and Sen. Chris Larson of Milwaukee were also named to the committee, which isn't scheduled to meet this year but likely will to handle emergency funding requests and other issues.
(Copyright 2012 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Wisconsin Gov. Walker to Headline Iowa GOP Dinner
- Wis. Supreme Court to Meet with State Lawmakers
- Walker to Speak at Conservative Group's Meeting
- Walker to Deliver Third State of State Speech
- Wis. GOP Leaders Favor Lower Income Tax Rates
- Walker Talks Mining and Jobs During 3 Stops
- Eliminating Same-Day Registration to be Discussed in WI
- Report Says $69M in Recall Spending Outside Wis
- Wis. Governor Insists He's Not Thinking about 2016
- Walker Outlines Priorities in California Speech