Mpls Teen Waives Right as Juvenile in Deadly Shooting Trial
A 16-year-old Minneapolis boy accused in the shooting death of 16-year-old Trequan Sykes waived his rights as a juvenile during a hearing Monday.
According to the Hennepin County Attorney's Office, Malcom Jackson will appear in court Tuesday.
According to authorities, the shooting occurred June 1 near Sykes home on the 2900 block of Bloomington Avenue South.
Jackson and witnesses told police that he had been in a fight several days earlier with Sykes' brother.
According to a petition filed by the Hennepin County Attorney's Office, Jackson hid a revolver near Minneapolis South High School. After class, he retrieved the gun and was later joined by two friends. They went to an alley behind Sykes home.
Witnesses told police Jackson went up to Sykes and exchanged words. As Sykes was walking away, he allegedly fired the gun at least twice, hitting Sykes in the back.
Sykes later died.